• Question: Before you realised that you wanted to be a scientist what did you want to be and why?

Asked by Leah to Shannah, Richard, Matthew, John, Emma, Anna on 12 Jun 2019. This question was also asked by 11mollym, game355air, Megan McDonnell.
    • Photo: Emma Markham

Emma Markham answered on 12 Jun 2019:

When I was a teenager I wanted to be an archaeologist because I loved Egypt and the language and mythology. Unfortunately my teachers were not supportive and so I was not encouraged to study or pursue this interest. I left school at 16 and worked full time in a shoe shop and part time in a DIY store, while studying a night course in tailoring. Unfortunately I was unable to find an apprenticeship or job in tailoring, so I went back to school to earn my A-levels, this is when I fell in love with science. I still enjoy sewing and making things in my spare time though!

• Photo: John Paterson

John Paterson answered on 14 Jun 2019:

I wanted to be on TV talking about animals like David Attenborough. But when I got older I realised that actually that was a very different kind of job to being a scientist who researches animals and plants, although I still think David Attenborough is great!